Wednesday, April 24, 2013

For the Love of Popcorn

So I was killing some time by browsing Pinterest (what's new) and I found this handy-dandy site. It sorts inexpensive healthy whole foods into six major categories, listing each food's average price per serving and per pound along with a few health benefits and a recipe or too. Good, no?

I like lists like these because they give me ideas of new things to try. All of these are fairly basic, but maybe you've never tried lentils or beets, or you've considered your options of fresh, canned, or dried. 

One of my current favorites from this list (of which I have many) is popcorn. Not Orville's over-priced, artery-clogging bags that never seem to pop like you want them - no. I'm talking about the whole kernels that they only ever seem to have five pound bags of at the store. I came home with one of those babies when I went grocery shopping on an empty stomach with a hankering for popcorn. I realized my folly when I got home and remembered that I don't like popcorn very much. I lamented my foolishness (very vocally, I might add, much to the dismay of my roommates), but nonetheless vowed to use the entire bag. Little did I know that fate had led me to my next food obsession.
 
So pathetic

Homemade popcorn is a magical thing. It is extremely inexpensive, easy to make, and can be tailored to your tastes. S'mores popcorn? Not a problem. What to throw some cinnamon-sugar on there? Go right ahead. Craving good ol' fashioned butter and salt? The kings of old would pay a reasonable price for such a treat. Get the point? Sure you do. 

So many possibilities
2 tablespoons of popcorn kernels makes about 5 cups, each cup coming in at a mere 35 calories, which means that you can eat a lot of this stuff. There are two ways to home pop: 
Mm...popcorn
1. The classic stove top method. Turn the burner up to medium to medium-high heat, throw in some oil of your choice (I recommend no more than 1 teaspoon per tablespoon of kernels, but I won't judge you if you do more), toss in your kernels, put a lid on it, and swish and shake* the pot around until you have fresh, steamy, perfectly-popped popcorn.

*This keeps the kernels from burning.

2. The magic microwave method. I don't know why this never occurred to me, but I was nevertheless enthralled when I saw it done for the first time. All you do is put up to 1/4 cup of kernels in a brown paper lunch bag, fold the top edge over a couple of times, and microwave it as you would the aforementioned pre-packaged sacks of hydrogenated oils. And viola - perfect popcorn waiting to be eaten. The only down side to this method is that because the kernels aren't popped with butter or oil, unless you get some grease on them fast post-popping, any seasoning doesn't stick very well.
 
First kernels, then popcorn!

Well there you have it. If you're not converted then come see me and I will convince you. That's a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment