Thursday, March 21, 2013

What's My Deal?

I always have the best of intentions when I go grocery shopping. I really do. However, the food I buy does not always last long enough to have the opportunity to be turned into something more delicious than its raw form. So once again, I have allowed my food to start to go bad, but never fear! I have a trick up my sleeve.

In this instance, I had a zucchini and two tomatoes that were starting to compost in my fridge. I couldn't think of a specific dish that I could use them in so I did the next best thing: I roasted them.

Roasting vegetables is always a good option because it intensifies their flavors and they can thus be added to anything and it will be delicious. There are specific temperatures and roasting times for each vegetable that you can easily look up somewhere, but I'm lazy so I just toss everything in a bit of oil, pop it in the oven, and try not to burn it. The result is rich, caramelized vegetables as seen here in a poorly lit, poorly photographed image:

Trust me, it's delicious
 Here's how I did it:

1 medium zucchini
2 roma tomatoes
1/2 medium onion
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil

Chop it up, toss with the oil, throw it in a pan, and stick it in a 400 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until lightly caramelized. The veggies should be tossed every 5-10 minutes to make sure they cook evenly, and, more importantly, that they don't burn ('cause then they're gone forever). 

These can be added to pasta, quinoa, or pretty much whatever else you can think of. I added mine to some couscous and it was darn tasty. If you want to do more with roasted vegetables, try this recipe for roasted veggie enchiladas. They're pretty tasty too.

And just for fun, here's some Mozart:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment